First of all, calm down; this is not cross-examination, and it is definitely not the kind of writing we’ll be dealing with here. Everything is much simpler.
For example, dwell upon your winter holidays.
You are not a pupil, so don’t write about your visit to grandma or something like that. Create a 750 word paper about places, events, and people you dealt with. Try to avoid stereotypes and create your own story! It may seem a hard task, but if you follow this guide, you’ll have an opportunity to write an original paper.
It may seem like the type of assignment you may get. To write about something that happened to you is clearly not a hard thing to do. Though, there are certain patterns that you are to follow when you write a descriptive essay. Read them carefully and try to stick to these rules.
In certain cases, it is quite hard to be descriptive and creative at the same time. There is no point in denying that you don’t want to plagiarize yourself and write about your holidays for a hundredth time. It may be written good, but such topics are already done. You can create a more original piece of writing.
If you don’t feel creative enough for this, you may use these extraordinary topics for your descriptive essay. They offer more space for discussion and description making your writing more interesting and unusual.
A Guide for Descriptive Essay Writing: Some Basic Tips
Of course, you cannot write a descriptive essay without using description techniques within it. It is inevitable, but you may need something beyond this.
There are certain rules you must follow while writing it.
- Determine the reason why you write an essay.
- As any type of writing, a descriptive essay has an ultimate goal.
- Define the reason why you write an essay. Do you want to simply tell about something, or do you have another intention? If you are not certain about the way how to include your feelings and thoughts into the essay, find out more about objective and subjective description.
Sort out the details you want to use
Describing things is important in any descriptive essay, but don’t use them for just any reason. They can make your essay boring and uninteresting to the reader.
There is a vivid example when too many details are interpolated to the text.
I came back from a vacation that lasted four weeks. I came home at midnight. As I opened my new wooden door with a chrome key, I did it in an ordinary way. I was shocked when I opened it and looked at my room. There was a complete mess in it. Everything was broken and out of order. As soon as I realized, what I have seen, I understood that my apartment got robbed. I took out my mobile phone of the latest model and called the police. They said that officers will visit me in ten minutes. I took off my leather coat and decided to take a look at other rooms in my apartment.
This piece of text had too many details. Readers don’t need to know what kind of door you have or what the design of the key you opened it with is. These details don’t bring anything useful to the text, as they are absolutely unnecessary.
Be sure about your senses
It doesn’t concern all the senses, but mostly the main ones: smell, taste, sight, touch, and hearing.
One cannot write a descriptive essay without writing about the things seen. Nevertheless, write about other feelings to make your essay more creative. The image of the things you write about can become brighter to your readers.
Think over how you would describe eating a delicious pizza. Dwell upon the texture of the dough, the ingredients, and their smell. Try to describe this hot masterpiece for your readers to imagine it clearly. This will produce a better effect on your audience.
You may get hungry for pizza now, but you have a vivid example of how to write a descriptive essay. Though, you still need things to write about.
There are 20 topics below that may be useful for you.
20 Extraordinary and Original Descriptive Essay Topics
Keep in mind that you are to move away from primitive topics that you write in school (they are both clichéd and boring).
Choose one of these.
5 Extraordinary and Original Descriptive Essay Topics about Places
Of course, you may write about your dining room, kitchen or bedroom but that’s not really interesting. Choose something more original. Try to use some of these topics about extraordinary places.
- A plant or a factory. Imagine industrial sounds, the process of construction, smells, and atmosphere. Descriptions of talks between workers are also very original.
- An antechamber. Think over the situation, when several people, who don’t know each other sit in one room. What do they do? What do they talk about? How do people perceive strangers?
- A toilet in a gas station. Describing such place is very challenging.
- Graveyard in the evening. Describe the season, weather, and the atmosphere. Is it gloomy or mysterious?
- A line to the rollercoaster. Dwell upon how waiting in the Sun changes the mood of people. Are they angry, disturbed or disappointed? Describing these issues will play an important part in your description.
5 Extraordinary and Original Descriptive Essay Topics about Objects
You might think of writing about an armchair or something that is present in your room at the moment. But it is hard to make such an essay interesting. You’d better write about something more extraordinary, like examples below.
Have problems with Your Descriptive Essay? Try these descriptive essay topics.
- The content of your pocket. Describe how the items look. Write about their importance. Are there any things that have a great value for you?
- A picture or a photograph. Write about a painting in the photo. Do the images have special meaning to you? What is the story behind them?
- A toy from your childhood. Write about your favorite toy when you were a child. Why did you like it? What is it made of? How does it feel to hold it in your hands?
- The street you see out the window. Create a description of a street you see from your window. What kind of people and transport are there? What are the shops there? What kind of noises do you hear? Are there any unusual monuments or buildings?
- A tattoo. Does it have any meaning? What is the style of a tattoo? Describe its color, concept, and part of the body it is made on.
5 Extraordinary and Original Descriptive Essay Topics about Experiences
Don’t think of writing about your graduation from high-school. These topics are too boring and used. If you want to create a descriptive essay about your personal experience, it may be unusual and specific. If you want to capture your reader’s attention think of writing something like these.
- A scary, comic or unusual subway ride. Write about how scary it felt to be alone in the dark subway. Or you may write about how you took the wrong bus and came to some place you don’t know. Perhaps a musician playing in the subway created the right mood for you.
- Being alone in the company of strangers. Write about your feelings. How did people react to you? What did you do to get acquainted with people around you? Where did this situation take place? What were your relationships with these people after that?
- A visit to a hospital. Write about the sounds you heard there, doctors’ and patients’ behavior. Think about your feelings. Were you scared, calm or nervous?
- Being lost in a new place. Mix the feelings with a description of a place you got lost in. Was it a city, village or a supermarket? What were the sounds that surrounded you? Was there anyone to help you?
- Seeing a ex-girlfriend/boyfriend. Think over your reaction when first saw this person after a long time. What was your attitude to this person? Did it change with the time? How did your ex react on you? Was the place where you met this person special for you?
5 Extraordinary and Original Descriptive Essay Topics about Processes
Cleaning the kitchen or washing the dishes can be seen as a process, but they are too ordinary and mundane to write the whole essay about them. Pick up the topic that gives you room for discussion and description.
- How to be a first-year student in college. Write about experiences you’ve had. Make a guide for students who might be in a similar situation. Dwell upon how to get new friends, how escape homesickness, how to be successful in studying etc.
- Training in the gym. Describe the process of training in the gym and exercises you do. Write a guide list telling how to train successfully without harm for your health. Within this topic, you may write about physical and mental activities.
- How to get ready for the exam. Write about your methods of getting ready for an exam and tell about successful strategies in studying large amounts of information. Such essay can be extremely helpful for students on each academic level.
- How to end unhealthy relationships. If you know the best way how to break up with a girlfriend or boyfriend, write a guide for those who might experience the same situation. It is possible to do it by phone, or through the social network. Perhaps you know some other ways to do it? Write about them.
- How to escape from online criminals. In case you know ways of protecting private information online and these ways are affordable to everyone, write about them. This topic is highly acute today, and your essay will certainly attract a lot of attention.
Descriptive essay through descriptive topic
As soon as you pick the topic that suits you most, keep in mind the reason why you write your essay, focus on the most important details to tell about in your text and do not neglect the importance of senses and feelings in your essay.
Following these tips, you may get from an original topic to extraordinary and successful essay. If you have trouble writing your essay, look for special essay-writing resourses online. There are lots of professional essay writers that can cope with any essay in no time. Don’t panic if you cannot get your descriptive essay right. There are people online that can offer you a helping hand when it comes to writing a descriptive essay.